The Ultimate Liberator!

For the seekers of knowledge
Can there be a knowledge?
better than
The Knowledge of The Divine, Shri Rama!

The one who liberated
Even the blades of grasses
And all the swarms of ants

Leaving none behind
That ever existed
In the Good City of Ayodhya

And placed them in
An exotic heaven
Created exclusively for them
By the Great Grandshire Brahma!

-Nammazhvaar


Ramayanam is Agriculture
Bhagavatham is Harvest
-Me


The twin-syllable, Rama
When a devotee exalts!
The Birth-Death cycle
It permanently halts

Goodness and Wealth
It everyday brings
Sin and poverty
It cleanses and shrinks

-Kambar


Goodness Honesty Sweetness Simplicity
Gentleness Strength Humility Bravery
Valour Talent Prowess Success
Memory Trustworthiness Heroism Genuinity
Such adorable qualities and so much more
By chanting Rama's name you will score!

-Me

My Lord's Story: Goodness Incarnate

Ramayanam in English poetry.

The Supreme Lord of the Universe was once born on this earth as a Human Being, faced challenges and had His share of pain and pleasure going through both good and bad times like any of us. Like any of us He too, took His turn in laughter and cry.

This humility of The Lord, that makes Him come down to earth and share with us our difficulties to show us a way to handle them is what I admire in Him. This quality of Him, makes me surrender to Him unconditionally and makes me want to sing His Glory on and on and on.

My Lord's Story is an out pour of my devotion that seeps out in gratitude for the pains He took to be a lighthouse for us, to cross the ocean of Samsara.

Links to all the posts have been provided in an order on the right side column.


Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Good Student in Lord Rama.


Our fellow blogger and friend, Mr.K.Parthasarathy asked me a question in email. I tried to answer it and he was very satisfied with my answer. I like to share it with all of you.

[blooms.jpg]
Mr.K.Parthasarathy:
Write about Sri Rama, a few lines in your next post
Some question; why did Sri Rama not kill Tataka in the first instance as ordered by Viswamitra but showed her compassion by removing her arms and ear lobes.He killed her finally only when it was necessary.Did Sri Rama disobey the sage initially and went by his own judgment of things and kill her only when he felt it was necessary.Think about it
regards
KP
[cat-lion.jpg]

Me:
That's a very nice question you have asked. I know you too are Lord Rama's devotee and this question is just for discussion.

First I like to say something about Lord Rama.

There are black holes in the sun. Lord Rama is like a sun without black holes.
There are scars on the moon. Lord Rama is like the moon without scars.
He is incarnation of Goodness. He is all that is Good. And all that is good is him.
Insects cannot look at the same way, humans look at the world.
Like that because of inner defects people may find fault in Lord Rama.
But the fact is that, the fault is in the people who find fault with Him.

I did not chose to worship Lord Rama because he is an incarnation of Maha Vishnu.
I worship Maha Vishnu because he incarnated as Lord Rama and proved his character at least once.

Now with this conviction let me try to answer your question.

Lord Rama first refused to shoot arrows at Tataka because she was a female.
Vishwamitra had already told him how dangerous she was, to soft natured mystics, knowing that this is what Lord Rama would say on seeing a female . Anyhow he once more explained to Lord Rama why it is not wrong to kill this woman and gave a few example instances from the past.
Lord Rama was convinced and decided to shoot arrows at her.

Word and arrows aren't much different.
What I mean is even with arrows there is a kind of communication. Like the honking of the horn and blinking of the headlights, between the vehicle drivers of today.
Lord Rama being an adept archer, tried to warn Tataka to subdue before he could take her life. So he first hurt her badly. Then he started to chop off, limb after limb. And at last finished her off, since she persisted in her violent ways.

The moment he started to shoot arrows he has obeyed his Guru's command. And then it was just his style of fighting.
Something like, when a father asks his son to get something, the son chooses the shop or the way to the shop. If the son refuses to get that thing for the father only then it is disobedience.

And another piece of thought here is that Lord Rama subtly instructs every student not to do anything unless and other wise they are convinced of it.

Only in Lord Rama, a son can look upon and learn how a good son must be.
Only in Lord Rama, a husband can look upon and learn how a good husband must be.
Only in Lord Rama, can a ruler look upon and learn how a good ruler must be.
Only in Lord Rama, can a brother look upon and learn how a good brother must be.And so on...

So here, he makes it clear that obedience is different from slavery.
A slave has to do all that is told to him. But a student need not.
In fact, it is the quality of a good student to question, understand and then accept.

Now that I have got such a big article. This is going to be my next post.

[blooms.jpg]

Mr.K.Parthasarathy:
Wow.It is a beautiful and very satisfying reply.I am a great devotee of Sri Rama as much as of my sri Guruvayurappan.Both are the incarnations of the same God.But Rama of an earlier yuga stands out for certain virtues that are relevenat eternally.I was reading a book on Lectures on Ramayana by Rt Honble Srinivasa Sastri given in Sanskrit college six decades ago.He has followed Valmiiki's text as the basis.He has dealt with the character of Rama as human born in Raghu kula and not as divinie incarnation.
In one of the lectures ,Sastri had raised this question and answered it on the lines you hv so admirably done.
Yes, it is a very good idea to write on Sri Ramachandra in your blog.It should kindle interest among the readers the interest to think,read and know more about Him.There are different aspects to be dealt with on each character of the great epic.You should follow a proper sequence if your writing is intended to be continuous.The book is available in Giri trading at Mylapore (Rs250).A few copies are there.
I raised the question in my mail just to know your interest.
We can exchange ideas.I value your friendship
thanks

[cat-lion.jpg]

Me:
Thanks for inspiring me with your question sir. I too value your friendship and am looking forward for many such discussions. Is there a greater joy than speaking, hearing, thinking about Lord Rama?

Is there a sweeter thing than talking about him?
Is there a melodious thing than hearing about Him?
Is there a soulful thing than thinking about Him?
Is there a better work than worshipping Him?

For He is the Life of all the lifes.
For He is the Joy in all the hearts.
For He is the Taste in all the Food.
And He is the melody in all music.

Lucky are the ones who know his worth.
The ultimate achievement on this earth.

Jai Shri RAM... Jai Jai Shri Ram...!


15 comments:

ramesh sadasivam said...

This is a note with reference to my previous post. A lot has happened after we complained to the Commissioner of Police. I will write about it very soon. :)

Manivannan Sadasivam said...

WOW! Very inspiring discussion, and an enlightening post 'na! Your explanation and examples were great, hitting the bull's eye, like Shree Rama's arrows :-)

Thanks to KP sir for inspiring you to write.

And the poem was very sweet :-)

Keep writing more!!!

lakshmi said...

Hi Ramesh
You have given the answer so beautifully.....easy to grasp.......

thanks for this wonderful post from you and Mr.Parthasarathi

Bhushavali said...

Wow... A post with a deep insight on life and spirituality...
Do visit my blogs when time possible...

www.priyamanathozhi.blogspot.com
www.flutteringandwandering.blogspot.com

venuss66 said...

Thank you for sharing this precious post.The poem is very inspiring too. Thank you.

ramesh sadasivam said...

Wow! This is the first time I am getting so many comments in such a short duration. :)

#Manivannan

'Like Shree Rama's Arrows'- That's a very pleasing comment bro...
Thank you very much!

#lakshmi
Thanks and Welcome.
I too Thank Mr.Parthasarathy, with you, for inspiring me to write this.

#Mitr-Friend
Hi Mitr, Welcome to my blog.
Thanks. Please do keep coming.
I will visit your blogs. Thanks for inviting.

Your name reminds me of a movie directed by Revathi. :)

#Venus
Hi Venus, I am glad that you consider this post precious. Thanks.

anupama said...

dear ramesh,
really nice post and cleared many doubts!and i really love the smile maker,unnikannan's image!
you are doing a wonderful job.in kerala our karkidaka masam begins from july 17th ans in all hindu houses the RAMAYANA will be read.every one turns to LORD RAMA!
happy blogging!
sasneham,
anu

ramesh sadasivam said...

#Anupama

Hi anupama, Welcome to my blog. Thanks for your encouragement. Yeah UnniKrishna steals every body heart, Thats why he is called Hari.:)

Happy Karkidaka Masam!
Happy Ramayanam Reading !
Happy Blogging!

Bhushavali said...

Hi Ramesh,
Yup.. I love that movie 'Mitr-My Friend'..
A beautiful movie with a beautiful story.. I could watch it 'n' no. of times...

ramesh sadasivam said...

Hi Mitr! I saw that movie in the Woman's Film Festival this year.She had portrayed the generation gap very well.I too liked it.

Vishwanath Seshadri said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely post, Ramesh. Instead of reading about ordinary people's ordinary lives in blogs, it is worthwhile to read about extra-ordinary people and extra-ordinary lives like that of Shri Rama..

I think your answer shows your deep understanding as well as devotion of Shri Rama. You have very beautifully said that His name, His stories,His character etc. are all wonderful and exemplary...

As KP Sir is suggesting, you can use this blog to write your analysis about various other events of Ramayana and not only you but we readers will also be enriched by it.

cheers

Vish

ramesh sadasivam said...

Hi Vish,

Thanks for your encouragement. I will definitely write more and more Lord Rama.Does the bee ever get tired in its search for honey? With readers like you I am more encouraged in my path. Thanks a lot.

Baiyu said...

Dear Ramesh,
I have nothing more to add to the comments you have received from a number of ardent followers of your writing on Lord Rama.I can but just admire your conviction of absolute faith in Lord Rama seen by the way you have gone about answering to the Query raised by KP.Very well answered.You may refer my writings also to your followers as we seem to have a common interest.
Incidentally I seek your attention to my recent write up under Kavitanjali blog on 'What do you know about our country India that is Bharat'?I seek your feedback.BAIYU

Baiyu said...

Dear Ramesh,
I have nothing more to add to the comments you have received from a number of ardent followers of your writing on Lord Rama.I can but just admire your conviction of absolute faith in Lord Rama seen by the way you have gone about answering to the Query raised by KP.Very well answered.You may refer my writings also to your followers as we seem to have a common interest.
Incidentally I seek your attention to my recent write up under Kavitanjali blog on 'What do you know about our country India that is Bharat'?I seek your feedback.BAIYU

ramesh sadasivam said...

Thank you sir. I will visit your site when I get time. :)